Monday, April 11, 2016

The Lord Giveth (sometimes)

Sometimes I think the universe  likes to put me in the wrong place at the wrong time just to see what I will do with the moment... in fact... I do believe it.

Sometimes I am at the right place at the right time... It is destiny... I don’t believe in luck or coincidence...

And sometimes... the universe and destiny conspire to play little jokes on me... just to see how I will react to it... God has a sense of humor... and so do I.

I once held a first edition copy of ‘The Great Gatsby’ in very fine condition in my hands... but did not snag it for myself... it was when I first started out collecting and selling first editions... I still laugh when I think of it... shit happens... but... that was a dumb thing to do... I believe that there is a plan and a purpose for everything that happens... but I just can’t figure out why I did that, when in my gut I knew I should have bought the book - which was priced at $2.00... yup... $2.00... at a church sale... I have not made too many mistakes like that again... I have learned to listen to my feelings...

I am the kind of person that picks up discarded coins from the ground, and many times I have found some gems... and I go through all my spare change daily... to see what I find... cue the universe...

This morning I was at my coffee house for my early morning cup o’ Joe - and riffled through my change to get rid of some of it... but as usual I looked to see if there was any silver coins in my pile - any quarters, dimes, minted up to 1964... nope, nothing of value in the pile... but what?
There’s a quarter from 1965 with no mint mark - a letter stamped on it denoting the mint it comes from... my eyes go wide... my pulse races... and I get a little dizzy... treasure!!!

I try to sort through the chaos that is my mind palace... what was it about this coin?

My feelings were telling me there was something special about this quarter... my mind was looking for the answer... it was trapped somewhere in my subconscious... the guy behind the counter gives me a look... I hand him paper... and make my way to a table... a few steps from the counter it hits my like truck... silver!

By some mistake there were quarters minted in 1965 with silver and they had no mint mark... and if I was remembering correctly one went for auction for something like $7,000... thank you destiny...

I sat down and reach for my lap top... and place the coin on the table... I look down at it and say a little prayer...  I am a grateful man for all the opportunities and the many gifts that God gives... as my computer powers up I notice something that I did not take the time to notice in all my excitement... the edge of the coin... is that... copper...

I am not a greedy man... but... I’ll admit... there was a little greed emanating from my soul when I thought I held a big score in the palm of my hand... just a little...

That quarter is worth, at most, about $30.00 - well played universe... but thanks for the ride.

The lord giveth and the lord taketh away... but there is no reason not to laugh about it... still... thirty bucks - I’ll take it... it goes with the rest of the treasure.

Sometimes little things turn out to be big things... so pay attention and don’t let opportunities slip away.
I couldn't take a decent picture of that darn quarter with my old camera.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a 1st edition of "A Charlie Brown Christmas." My mother knows me well. She bought it for me from a church sale for 10 cents!! At first, I immediately knew it was a 1st edition. I suggested that perhaps she should return it. They didn't know what it was worth. She said no. She said the church sale was over and she felt uncomfortable going back. She said that I should see it for what it was---a gift and enjoy it. So I still do.